Saturday, March 14, 2009

Update

Just updating for the sake of updating: more to create a sort of historical milestone to look back on and nod my head reminiscently over a few years down the road than for the sake of 'blogging' (this blog is still existent mainly for the sake of being a personal-but-broadly-accessible journal, since I'm not really attempting to get any readers/visitors yet).

So: to future Luke, future readers scanning the archives, or bored stumbleupon users: It's been almost a year since I posted, and for the most part with good reason. The last year's been hallmarked by a whirlwind of momentous changes, some good, some bad, some terrible, but all significantly impactful on my life. But since this blog is here for writing, I'll just gloss over most of those.

Here the important one. Writing. I'm writing more than ever, better than ever. My brain has gone through what feels like several paradigm shifts in the past 10 months. Everything from my vocabulary to my philosophy to my creative dreams have evolved and reshaped themselves quite a bit, through all these changes somehow retaining a consistent core.

Still working on the stories, pounding out the essays, dreaming up the novels. Hundreds of pages of disorganized notes scattered through various subjects' notebooks. A whole new regiment of half-finished attempts at genre-changing stories. Stories in lots of genres, lots of styles: fantasy, slice-of-life, faux-postmodern-psychological-detective(literally the only way one particular story is classifiable), memoir, epistemological, pseudo-autobiographical, thrillers, understated character sketches....

Everything I write I do to try and expand myself. To increase myself. To take the creative lump that is me and stretch it, bend it, twist it, force it to contort and writhe and loop back on itself in endless variations until I can do anything.

I'm trying to find myself: not just as a person and as a writer. Once I do, hopefully I'll have something new, something incredible, or at least something unique, to put up here. But until then...

I'll be drifting along in the real world, changing but staying the same.

Luke

No comments: